Review: Didi Cakes

Pretty irresistible 

I’d be the first to admit that I’m not usually a cupcake fan – so often, they look amazing, but it’s a case of style over substance, with the actual cake itself being dry or tasteless. I’m happy to report, however, that Didi Cakes in Bath have cracked it, creating absolutely stunning cupcakes which, incredibly, taste even better than they look.

One of my favourite things about Bath is that it’s always buzzing with somewhere new to discover. Lately, Didi Cakes has been popping up all over my Twitter feed, so on a beautiful spring day when I didn’t fancy spending the afternoon inside, I thought I’d go for a stroll down Walcot St and find it. Walcot St is always a lovely place for strolling, because it’s one of Bath’s bastions of independence – you won’t see any chains here, just interesting little boutiques, bars and artisan workshops. Down at the quieter end, away from the city centre, is this cheerful little bright blue bakery – and boy, is it worth finding.

More shop than café, the space is mainly taken up by a large, curving glass case full of mouth-watering treats, from beautiful occasion cakes on elegant stands, to delicate French patisserie, to a rainbow of pretty cupcakes in a huge range of flavours. Although the principal focus is takeaway, there is also a counter with twirly stools where you can perch and tuck into a cake, along with tea, coffee or hot chocolate, and you can also peek into the workspace behind and see where the magic happens – on the day I visited, cupcakes were being expertly topped with a perfect swirl of frosting and a drizzle of caramel.

Unable to make a decision, I sought advice from Alex, behind the counter (who helps run Didi Cakes along with her parents, Daniella & John, so it’s a proper, old-fashioned family business) and she recommended the peanut butter. It was utterly delectable – light, fluffy chocolate cake topped with the most amazing frosting made (I’m told) with a mixture of peanut butter and ganache, so it was gorgeously creamy. I knew immediately that I was going to have to buy some more cupcakes to take home, so after much deliberation I chose a red velvet cupcake decorated with the classic cream cheese icing, and a banoffee cupcake topped with caramel cream cheese icing, a drizzle of caramel sauce and a dried banana chip – both were very good but I think I’d ultimately recommend the banoffee, as I’m just not quite a convert to the red velvet craze. Luckily, at £2.50 each (or just £1, for the adorable mini cupcakes!) you can easily afford to try them all…

I was a little worried about getting the cupcakes home, but of course, these chaps have thought that through with some great little takeaway boxes that kept everything looking just as perfect as it was in the shop. They’ve got a wide menu of options when it comes to supplying everything from parties to corporate events, so if you really want to impress your guests (or butter up your employees) then visit their website here. Otherwise, feel free to use this glowing recommendation as an excuse to simply saunter down there and treat yourself to a cupcake – go on, you deserve it.